ON-DEMAND: ACHIEVING FAIRNESS IN CIVIL JURY TRIALS: JURIES, BATSON, AND BEYONDOctober 27, 2021 | Online
Recorded on October 27 2021. Presented in collaboration with the Pound Civil Justice Institute, this webinar will explore the crucial issues around achieving fairness in civil jury trials. Join Roxanne Conlin, Preston Tisdale, and Gerson Smoger for an insightful discussion on addressing discriminatory challenges, and striking jurors for cause.
2:00 – 2:05 p.m.
2:05 – 2:35 p.m.
CHALLENGES TO SCHIEVING FAIRNESS IN CIVIL JURY SELECTION
• Avoiding Rehabilitating Jurors Who Indicate Bias
• Striking Jurors for Cause
|2:35– 3:05 p.m
ADDRESSING DISCRIMINATORY CHALLENGES
• Using Preemptory Challenges in a Non-Biased Manner
• Role of Implicit Bias
• Judicial Rulemaking for Jury Trial Fairness
• How Batson Currently Works in Most Jurisdictions
|3:05 – 3:20 p.m.||
QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION