Bone marrow transplant (BMT), also called a stem cell transplant, is the only potential cure for bone marrow failure diseases, like aplastic anemia, MDS and PNH.
During this program, recorded on March 15, 2016, Dr. Navneet Majhail, a BMT expert from Cleveland Clinic, explains the steps for transplant and what factors to consider when deciding if transplant is right for you. Topics include: types of transplants, finding a matched donor, early recovery and risk for complications, and the role of a BMT caregiver. Methods used by doctors to reduce complications are also discussed. After the program there was time for questions and answers with Dr. Majhail and staff from AA&MDSIF and Be The Match.
At the end of this program you will be able to:
- List the factors to consider when deciding if transplant is right for you and the timing for transplant
- Describe types of transplant, cell sources for transplant and how your doctors will find the best match for you
- Summarize what to expect during early recovery
- List the complications that might be experienced during and after BMT
- Understand steps doctors take to reduce complications
- Outline the role of a BMT caregiver
To download the transcript for this program:
- Click the presentation link down below
- Select Resources tab
- Download PDF of transcription