Select the Sections below you want to view. Each program consists of a "media type" and the legend is below. Please complete the evaluation/feedback after viewing this Chapter, in order to access the assessment. Upon successful completion of the assessment, your CDE/CME certificate will be available.
Upon completion of this activity, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the anatomy of the TMJ and surrounding structures.
- Relate surface anatomy of the TMJ to open surgical approaches and arthroscopic approaches to the TMJ.
- Identify structures normally visualized during arthroscopy.
- Describe the appropriate method for clinical examination of the TMD patient.
- Discuss the Human System Theory as it relates to TMDs and how it pertains to management of the TMD patient.
- List and interpret the diagnostic criteria for TMD of the American Association of Orofacial Pain (AAOP).
- Identify normal structures on MRI and CT of the TMJ.
- Identify common abnormalities of the TMJ on MRI and CT.
- List the principles of therapeutic management of patients with myofascial pain.
- Describe different bite appliances and their advantages/disadvantages.
- Describe how to perform arthrocentesis.
- List indications and contraindications for surgical arthroscopy.
- Describe the procedures that can be performed arthroscopically.
- Discuss the relevance of lateral impingement in the development and progression of TMDs.
- Identify lateral disc impingement abnormalities on coronal MRI.
- List conservative treatment options for management of recurrent dislocation of the TMJ.
- Describe surgical treatment options for management of recurrent dislocation of the TMJ, including eminoplasty and eminectomy.
- Describe the indications and technique for performing modified condylotomy.
- List alternatives for reconstruction of the TMJ with biological tissues.
- Describe the indications and technique for costochondral graft reconstruction of the TMJ.
- List advantages and disadvantages of custom total joint replacement over other methods of joint reconstruction.
- Describe indications for custom total joint replacement.
- Describe indications and technique for total joint replacement with a stock alloplastic prosthesis.
- Discuss the management of patients who present simultaneously with TMD and dentofacial deformity.
- Discuss the potential role for tissue engineering in the management of TMDs.
By purchasing and accessing this content, I agree that I have read the below disclosure list.
To view the TMJ disclosure list, click here.