APTA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Clinical Competency CertificateThis course series provides PTs and PTAs with a comprehensive study of the fundamental knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to provide safe evidence-based patient care using the aquatic environment. Participants will demonstrate clinical competency in aquatic physical therapy by completing both written and practical skills tests. This is the only certificate program sponsored by a component of the APTA specifically designed for the aquatic physical therapy professional.
Note: The series includes online courses plus an in-person pool course. You must complete the three-day, in-person pool course to complete the course series and be awarded the APTA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Clinical Competency Certificate.
These are the online courses required to obtain your certificate:
- Aquatic Historical Perspective - David Morris, PT, PhD
- Aquatic Physics* - Lori Thein Brody, PT, ATC, PhD (prerequisite for pool course)
- Physiology of Immersion* - Marty Biondi, PT, DPT, CSCS (prerequisite for pool course)
- Critical Thinking and Aquatic Interventions for PT* - Holly Lookabaugh-Deur, PT, DSc, GCS, Emily Dunlap, PT (prerequisite for pool course)
- Pool Chemicals and Safety - Richard Vicory, PT, DPT
- Risk Management - Shelly E Muhlenkamp PT, MSPT
- Aquatic Billing and Documentation - Holly Lookabaugh-Deur PT, DSc
If you'd like to learn more about the Clinical Competency Certificate, here's the Clinical Competency Information Sheet which covers the Overview, Course Requirements, and Cost.
Note: CEU not applicable in AK, CO, HI, LA, NJ, NM, NV
Note: CEU not pre-approved in the following states, but licensees may seek their own approval in AR, CA, DE, OH, TX
All other states: 2.5 CEU/25 Contact Hours
California Residents who are attending Pasadena in 2023, please contact email@example.com discuss CEU approval for the three pre-requisites (critical thinking, physics, and physiology) and the in-person course in Pasadena, CA.
The three-day, in-person course dates are:
- Pasadena, California: June 9, 2023 - June 11, 2023 - Registration is now open!
- Miami, Florida: October 13, 2023 - October 15, 2023 - Registration is now open!
- Netawaka, Kansas: October 4, 2024 - October 6, 2024 - Registration opens Jan 2024
- Austin, Texas: July 12-14, 2023- Registration opens Jan 2024