APTA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Clinical Competency CertificateThis course series provides PTs and PTAs with a comprehensive study of the fundamental knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to provide safe evidence-based patient care using the aquatic environment. Participants will demonstrate clinical competency in aquatic physical therapy by completing both written and practical skills tests. This is the only certificate program sponsored by a component of the APTA specifically designed for the aquatic physical therapy professional.
Note: The series includes online courses plus an in-person pool course. You must complete the three-day, in-person pool course to complete the course series and be awarded the APTA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Clinical Competency Certificate.
These are the online courses required to obtain your certificate:
- Aquatic Historical Perspective - David Morris, PT, PHD
- Aquatic Physics* - Terry Peterson, PT, MS, PCS (prerequisite for pool course)
- Physiology of Immersion* - Marty Biondi, PT, DPT, CSCS (prerequisite for pool course)
- Critical Thinking and Aquatic Interventions for PT* - Holly Lookabaugh-Deur, PT, DSc, GCS, Emily Dunlap, PT (prerequisite for pool course)
- Pool Chemicals and Safety - Richard Vicory, PT, DPT
- Risk Management Issues - David Morris, PT, PhD
- Aquatic Billing and Documentation - Christine Taylor, PT, DPT, PCS
Note: CEU not applicable in AK, CA, CO, HI, LA, NJ, NM, NV
Note: CEU not pre-approved in the following states, but licensees may seek their own approval in AR, DE, FL, OH
Ohio: We are in the process of seeking approval for Clinical Competency Certificate courses the 2021 year. They are all approved at this time except the Physics Course. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
The three-day, in-person course dates are:
- July 16-18, 2021 Grand Haven, MI
- October 8-10, 2021 Fishersville, VA