To register for this course, please complete the three pre-requisite courses located in the Clinical Competency Certificate learning path.
Participants at this 3 day course will experience hands-on training to integrate skills and knowledge learned from the online modules of the ATPA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Certificate of Clinical Competency Series. Emphasis will be placed on handling techniques to give the participant confidence to apply their knowledge to a wide base of treatment applications. Participants will be challenged to maximize the effectiveness of their treatments utilizing the unique properties of water and pool equipment. A variety of aquatic therapy techniques will be demonstrated and multiple case studies will aid the learner in understanding the aquatic therapy continuum from evaluation to discharge to wellness. Participants can expect to be in the pool for the majority of the course and will be tested on their handling skills as well as integration of online and pool course material.
Pool Course Objectives
1. Apply critical thinking to evidence based practice to support the need for aquatic physical therapy intervention.
2. Recognize and respond to potential challenges prior to pool entry for specific patient populations.
3. Appropriately select pool equipment best suited for patient treatment goals.
4. Demonstrate the ability to logically progress exercise in the water.
5. Confidently handle patients of all types in the water in all depths and all positions.
6. Apply clinical interventions for gait and balance training in the water.
7. Integrate aquatic techniques for maximizing muscle performance during aquatic physical therapy treatments.
8. Demonstrate modifications to address possible sensory integration challenges when in aquatic treatment session.
9. Develop and integrate individualized cardiovascular techniques based on patient’s needs.
10. Demonstrate basic understanding of Halliwick, Bad Ragaz Ring Method, Watsu, Ai Chi, AquaStretch, Aqua Yoga and Burdenko Method.
APTA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Clinical Competency Certificate
Note: The series includes online courses plus an in-person pool course. You must complete the three-day, in-person pool course to complete the course series and be awarded the APTA Academy of Aquatic Physical Therapy Clinical Competency Certificate.
Achievement of the course series results in an assessment-based clinical competency certificate in aquatic physical therapy. It does not result in a credential and is not recognized by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists (ABPTS). Participants receive an assessment-based certificate upon completion of the entire program.
These are the online courses required to obtain your certificate:
- Aquatic Historical Perspective - David Morris, PT, PHD
- Aquatic Physics* - Terry Peterson, PT, MS, PCS (prerequisite for pool course)
- Physiology of Immersion* - Marty Biondi, PT, DPT, CSCS (prerequisite for pool course)
- Critical Thinking and Aquatic Interventions for PT* - Holly Lookabaugh-Deur, PT, DSc, GCS, Emily Dunlap, PT (prerequisite for pool course)
- Pool Chemicals and Safety - Richard Vicory, PT, DPT
- Risk Management Issues - David Morris, PT, PhD
- Aquatic Billing and Documentation - Christine Taylor, PT, DPT, PCS