Direct mail remains one of the most effective, yet misunderstood, tools for fundraising. In this session, we'll discuss some common ways nonprofits do direct mail poorly and how you can fix it. We'll use examples of both good and awful appeals and give attendees a chance to ask specific questions about their direct mail plans.
Participants will learn:
- How to craft an effective appeal
- The critical elements to appeal planning and budgeting
- Basic "donor brain hacks" based on the principles of philanthropic philosophy
- How to integrate sensible design into your appeal
- How to advocate for best practices (that often are rejected by leadership)
- What things to invest in and what things to abandon