This is a multi-week course- This course starts September 26 and ends October 30, 2019. You may purchase it now, but content will not start until October 31.
To view the full course syllabus Click here
Description: The most common question we receive at the APDT is "I want to be a dog trainer, but where do I begin?" Well, as most trainers know, anyone can hand out business cards and start charging money to train dogs. There are no credentials or education required. Unfortunately, the general public often doesn't realize this. Additionally, more trainers means more competition – so knowing your stuff can really help a trainer stand out from the crowd. In response to these issues and requests, the APDT has created this certificate course for anyone who is looking to become a dog trainer, as well as for those trainers who don't yet know this vital information. Rather than teach you how to train a solid recall, run a group class, or address dog aggression, this course will feature all of the information a good dog trainer should know before doing any of that stuff – before starting to offer services. We'll go in-depth into the history of dog training, current training methods, dog behavior and body language, credentialing and how to approach our human clients' behavior.
Learning Outcomes: Attendees of this course can expect to:
- Evaluate the evolution and behavior of wolves and the domestic dog
- Assess the advantages and disadvantages of various dog training techniques and recognize when (and when not) to apply each
- Analyze available education, membership, and credentialing resources and identify which is best for you
- Identify what it means to be qualified and skilled, as well as your own limitations and abilities
- Create a concrete course of action toward working as a dog trainer
- On-time completion of all required homework assignments.
- Participation, attitude, enthusiasm, and productivity.
- Grammar, punctuation, clarity, and efficacy of written discussions and assignments.
- Meeting assignment guidelines or criteria provided by instructor.
- Anyone thinking of becoming a dog trainer
- Any dog trainer just starting out
- Any dog trainer who does not know this information
Course Evaluation & Completion: will be determined based on but not limited to:
1.On-time completion of all required homework assignments.
2.Participation, attitude, enthusiasm, and productivity.
3.Grammar, punctuation, clarity, and efficacy of written discussions and assignments.
4.Meeting assignment guidelines or criteria provided by instructor.
CCPDT, IAABC, KPA, IACP, -ABCDT-L2
Audit Course Option $100.00 Members, $125.00 Non-Members click here to purchase