**If you attended the Live Event and Already Earned your certificate you
can print or save it from your Account area by clicking on your name in
the upper right hand corner.
Candida species are one of the most common sources of health-care acquired infections, can be difficult to diagnose and treat, are associated with increased morbidity and mortality and lead to increased length of hospital stay and costs. However, few clinical microbiology laboratories routinely identify Candida at a species level. The emergence of Candida auris , a multidrug-resistant species, combined with increasing numbers of other drug-resistant Candida species means identification and susceptibility testing of Candida species are critical functions of the clinical laboratory. New methods that allow for more accurate and rapid identification of C. auris are now available. This webinar will describe the best methods for identification of Candida species, including C. auris and approaches for anti-fungal susceptibility testing (AST) that can be adopted in the clinical microbiology laboratory. The speakers will also describe Candida testing services offered through the AR Laboratory Network that can aid infection prevention approaches in your facility including C. auris colonization testing and AST of Candida species.
- Describe the growing threat of Candida auris and the role of the clinical laboratory in identifying and containing its spread.
- Review available test methods for Candida identification and susceptibility testing.
- Identify Candida testing services offered through the AR Laboratory Network and explain how they can support health care facilities.
Erin H. Graf, Ph.D., D(ABMM)
Director, Infectious Disease Diagnostics Laboratory
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Assistant Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Shawn R. Lockhart, Ph.D., D(ABMM)
Director, Fungal Reference Laboratory
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Elizabeth L. Berkow, Ph.D., MLS (ASCP)
Fungal Reference Laboratory
Centers for the Disease Control and Prevention
This webinar is approved for 1.0 P.A.C.E.® credit. ASM is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® Program. This presentation is recognized by the California Department of Health and Florida Department of Health and qualify for California and Florida CE credit toward license renewal.
If you watch the live version on January 22, 2019, you must claim your CE credits within three (3) days. If you do not, you will have to watch the recorded version in order to claim your CE credits. The webinar recording will be available for unlimited viewing for six months following the live webinar.
This basic level program is appropriate for all microbiologists working in clinical or public health laboratory settings.
- Registration is free with CEU and unlimited access to the archive program for six months. To register, add the product below to your cart and check out.
- Everyone that wants CEUs for the live event or archive webinar must sign up individually for CEUs. If you are part of a site that watches the live event or archive together, please send an attendance list to firstname.lastname@example.org so those who signed up for the webinar can be marked as attended and can thus access their CEUs.
- You must create a free ASM account to register for this webinar. Click "Sign In" in the upper, right hand corner to create an account
Please email ASM if you require closed captioning.