January 30 - April 16, 2020, select Thursdays at 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. ET
Webinar series leaders
Dr. Mary O'Riordan, Frederick C. Neidhardt Collegiate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
Dr. Peggy Cotter, Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
New to writing manuscripts for scientific journals? Reviewing a manuscript for the first time? Looking for fresh insights? ASM’s Manuscript Writing and Publishing for Scientists webinar series equips you with the skills you need to publish in top tier scientific journals.
After this webinar series, participants will be able to:
- Craft a compelling title and abstract.
- Develop informative and clear figures and tables.
- Structure each section of your manuscript appropriately.
- Select an appropriate journal to publish your research.
- Learn how to work with your Editor as a partner, not an adversary.
- Evaluate journal articles from a reviewer's perspective.
Join the webinar series for seven 60-minute webinars with seasoned scientists who frequently publish, review, and serve as editors in ASM journals. Attendance at live events are strongly encouraged so that you can interact with the speakers. Webinars are recorded for later (within 3 business days) viewing in case of conflicts. Learn more
- Attend seven 60-minute interactive webinars presented by experts in the field.
- Live Webinars: Thursdays 2:00 – 3:00 PM Eastern Time (ET)
- Participate in activities to assist your learning and live Q&A sessions with presenters.
To be eligible you must be:
- An early-career scientist, such as an
undergraduate student, graduate student, or postdoc, who is:
- Interested in learning about the scientific writing and publishing process.
- Currently conducting research or preparing research for publication in peer-reviewed journals
Participants can choose to register for either individual webinars or the 7-webinar package for extra benefits.
Registration for individual webinars includes:
- Access to live event and recording.
- Ability to interact with the speaker through polling and Q&A.
Participants who register and complete all 7 webinars and all required surveys will receive benefits to those above, including:
- Discounted 7-webinar package pricing
- Certificate of participation.
- Feedback on your learning with pre-webinar assignments.
- Participation in a virtual learning community about manuscript writing and publishing.
- Invitation to sign up for manuscript consultation sessions at ASM Microbe 2020 in Chicago.
Questions about registration, the series, or content? Email Rachel Horak, email@example.com
ASM Member: $199
Non-ASM Member: $274
Individual Webinar Rates
ASM Member: $35
Non-ASM Member: $50
All members except for Supporting Members qualify for ASM member rates.
No refunds for individual webinars will be given. Refunds for the webinar series are subject to a $50 administrative fee. All participants who pay the registration fee will be given access to the recordings until June 30, 2020.
Webinar 1. Writing Compelling Titles and Abstracts
Webinar 2. Setting the Stage: Writing Introductions
Webinar 3. Rendering Your Awesome Data With Figures, Tables, and Figure Legends
Webinar 4. Tell Your Story With Clear, Logical Results (and Associated Methods)
Webinar 5. The Big Picture: Writing Discussions That Highlight the Significance of Your Results
Webinar 6. Authors are from Mars, Reviewers are from Venus
Webinar 7. How to Review a Manuscript