NOTE: Access to all course materials has been extended to April 30, 2021
Webinar Series leader: Dr. Catherine Vrentas, Ph.D.
Do you have a Science Café coming up at the local coffee shop and are scheduled to present? Are you interested in sharing a hands-on science activity with visitors at the annual Science Expo on your campus, but aren’t sure where to start? Or, are you experienced in science outreach, but would like to build your skills in training others, evaluating the impacts of your efforts, or developing new ideas for content? If any of the above describe you, please join us for a new webinar series October - December 2020 in which we will explore the world of science outreach through the perspective of “Nuts and Bolts”. This series will focus on the practical elements of beginning or advancing your work in public science outreach, with a focus on microbiology outreach. Presentations will include tips and tricks, tools for planning and evaluation, case studies, and links to relevant resources.
Live Webinar Dates
Lesson 1: Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 2:00 - 3:00 PM Eastern daylight time (UTC -04:00)
Lesson 2: Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 2:00 - 3:00 PM Eastern standard time (UTC -05:00)
Lesson 3: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 2:00 - 3:00 PM Eastern standard time (UTC -05:00)
Webinar Series Learning Goals
After the completion of the webinar series, participants will be able to:
- Identify multiple examples of venues and audiences for public outreach activities.
- Outline a means of adapting your own research and/or scientific interests to design a puzzle based “Exploration Station”.
- Describe example characteristics of a successful virtual-based outreach program or event
- Identify options for professionalization of science outreach activities.
- Describe ways in which participation in outreach could connect to their own broader career goals.
- Identify at least three practical strategies for training and retention of volunteers (such as fellow scientists participating in outreach).
How will you learn in this series?
- Attend three 60-minute live interactive webinars
Attendance at live webinars is strongly encouraged to interact with the speaker and audience members. All webinars are recorded for on-demand viewing for those unable to attend the live webinar.
- Any scientists with an interest in, and/or experience in, public science outreach. The focus of the series will be in the development of engaging activities or presentations with a connection to your specific area of research or scientific interest; however, the content will be broadly applicable and appropriate for scientists across the spectrum of career stages.
- No previous experience is required for participation.
3-webinar package: Free
Individual webinars: Free
3-webinar package: $135
Individual webinars: $50
Note to Global Outreach Student Members: if the purchase price is not listed as free ($0), please contact email@example.com for assistance.
After registration, you will receive up to 4 emails: 1. 1 email purchase receipt from firstname.lastname@example.org 2. 1 email for each live event you registered for (contains live event details and calendar invites), each from email@example.com. Check spam folder if it did not arrive.
All ASM members except for Supporting Members qualify for member rates.
All sales final. No refunds will be given. Instead, all participants who pay the registration fee will be given access to the recordings until April 30, 2021.
This webinar series is led by the ASM Education Department. See more at https://asm.org/Webinars/Nuts-and-Bolts-of-Science-Outreach-Series
Questions about login or ASM Membership? Does your cart purchase price not reflect your ASM membership?
Questions the webinar series or content?
Contact: Dr. Rachel Horak, firstname.lastname@example.org
FINAL NOTE: If you want to access the entire course, please DO NOT add individual webinars to your cart. Only add the course to the cart using the button immediately below.