noncredit certificate program provides a strong foundation in the documents of
Vatican II and the Catechism of the Catholic Church and is designed for
certification of catechists and lay leaders. The courses for this certificate were
developed by Catholic Distance University in collaboration with the Diocese of
Brooklyn Holy Spirit Institute for Service and Leadership for the formation of
missionary disciples to serve as pastoral leaders in the Diocese of Brooklyn.
To complete the Brooklyn Diocese’s Certificate for Lay Leadership from the Holy Spirit Institute, candidates must be nominated by their pastor and approved by the Institute’s leaders. Certificate candidates commit to a two-year program that involves seminars in human development, pastoral development, and spiritual formation as well as theological training provided by Catholic Distance University’s online noncredit courses.
As a service to all its Lifelong Learning students, Catholic Distance University offers these courses in English and Spanish. The courses may be purchased individually or as a Certificate package (bundle).
View Certificate Objectives
Completion of the following six independent study courses:
- THEO-N008 Christian Prayer (2 CEUs)
- THEO-N005 The Profession of Faith (2 CEUs)
- THEO-N007 Life in Christ (3 CEUs)
- THEO-N006 The Celebration of the Christian Mystery (3 CEUs)
- SCRPT-N004 Introduction to Scripture and the Gospel Message (1 CEU)
- THEO-N105 Vat II:The Constitution on the Church, Lumen Gentium (1 CEU)