[1 credit hour]
This course is available for physician, dentist, physician assistant, nurse practitioner continuing education. A general attendance certificate is also available.
Release Date: 5/1/20
Termination Date: 4/30/23
This course will discuss the basics of doing short-term medical missions well. It discusses new team development and setting goals for the healthcare team as well as considerations in deciding to send a healthcare team to a new area. There will be an overview of different types of medical teams and how to prepare your team for the mission field. It will review the various roles on a medical team including the role of non-medical persons. Opportunities of increasing the long-term impact of a short-term healthcare mission will be presented. Best practices and standards of excellence in short-term healthcare missions will be discussed. Ethical obligations will also be reviewed and are essential to doing healthcare missions well.
- Define new healthcare team development.
- Cite ways to prepare your healthcare team for the mission field.
- Describe various roles on a medical team including the non-medical person.
- Identify practices and standards of excellence for short-term healthcare missions.
- State how to increase the long-term impact of a short-term healthcare mission.
- Define ethical obligations essential to doing short-term healthcare missions well.