[6.5 Hours] This course is available for physician, dentist, physician assistant, and nurse practitioner continuing education. A general attendance certificate is also available.
This conference was recorded in October 2021
Release Date: October 15, 2021
Termination Date: October 14, 2024
Through this conference, recorded in October 2021, healthcare professionals will understand the science related to sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI), the status of evidence-based treatment options, conflicts between popular fads and evidence-based treatments, intertwined and conflicting philosophies and ideologies in the field and the legal footing of conscience rights in America and the West. The healthcare professional will also benefit personally through a greater understanding of how and what this means for practitioners as they interact with their sexual minority patients and families.
- Cite and discuss scientific literature findings regarding theories of the origins, nature and demographics of same-sex sexual attraction and identification.
- Review risks of same-sex sexual practices.
- Familiarize providers with the scientific literature findings regarding the nature of gender dysphoria in minors.
- Acquaint providers with the claims, evidence and risks of watchful waiting and gender/transition affirming therapies.
- Identify the state of the evidence regarding watchful waiting vs gender/transition affirming therapies.
- Equip providers to compassionately respond to challenging interactions with gender dysphoric children and their families.
- Participant familiarity with provider rights of conscience and their legal protection.
- Participant recognition of potential conflicts of rights in the care of sexual minority patients.
- Participant recognition of philosophical/ideological interests regarding provider conscience rights.
- Participants will be familiar with change-allowing therapeutic models, the conflicts regarding them, and several recent legal and court developments regarding them.