practicing in the greyEach bar association in the country, as well as the American Inns of Court, has an ethical component to membership. To practice law in an ethical manner is not only critical to advancing the rule of law, but also in gaining and keeping the trust of fellow practitioners, the judiciary, as well as the clients and communities we serve. But ethics is a slippery concept, meaning one thing to one person and another thing to the next.
This course is not designed to give you hard and fast rules to follow, but rather explore the underlying spirit of legal ethics, and the obligations to clients and colleagues in a world and profession that is changing all around us.
Hear from a cross-section of judges and attorneys who share their own experiences and understanding about:
- what "legal ethics" means to them,
- ethical responses to some common scenarios, and
- the impact of a changing society on established ethical norms.
THE COURSE IS PRESENTED IN Three Parts
- Part I: What does "legal ethics" mean to you? What do you do when someone asks you for legal advice outside of your office?
- Part II: What are your ethical obligations regarding taking or not taking a case, as well as communications regardless of your relationship?
- Part III: What does "duty to report" mean under professional rules of conduct, and what are some of the external considerations that make this a particularly grey area?
CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATIONThis program is designed to be eligible for 1.5 CLE hours of ethics credit.
- It has been approved in Pennsylvania.
- It has been submitted for approval in Tennessee.
- Florida attorneys can self-report.
- Complete the Knowledge Check.
- Fill out the (5 minute long) evaluation.
If you are self-reporting in other jurisdictions:
- Print out your personalized certificate (tied to the submission of the evaluation).
- Download the course description and faculty bios document.
- Self-report your attendance by submitting the appropriate jurisdictional forms along with these documents to your CLE body; please let us know if they require anything additional.
If you are unsure if your state has been approved or have any questions, please contact us before taking the time to purchase and complete this program!