The Safety Performance lecture will focus on addressing the observed safety performance of protected bike lanes and associated intersection control approaches. This will include dispelling myths and highlighting critical aspects of design and operations to support safe systems and vision zero.
- Address questions and uncertainties that practitioners have in the existing design and operational guidance for protected bike lanes
- Share relevant research and guidance on design and operational practices of protected bike lanes as it relates to the work that ITE professionals regularly undertake
- Use examples of successful and relevant implementation of protected bike lanes to help describe principles of design and operational considerations
- Provide a basis for the design and operational aspects of protected bike lanes and highlight relevant resources available to practitioners
- Present research findings on safety performance (observed and perceived) of protected bikeways and the ways in which conflicts are managed