Developed by the ITE Transit Standing Committee.
With the persisting traffic congestions and declining bus travel speeds in major US cities, transit prioritization infrastructure is a critical component in the pursuit for reliable, frequent bus service. In this webinar we will present 3 on-going and recently completed bus prioritization projects in New York City, Washington DC, and Portland OR. We will discuss the projects motivations, development, implementation and monitoring, and explore how they improve both traffic flow and bus service reliability. We will focus on the technical aspects of the projects, including the employed tools, their expected/observed performance, technical challenges in design and implementation, and lesson learned.
- Recognize the issues and the motivations to plan and implement transit bus prioritization infrastructure.
- Describe policies and planning processes that guide transit bus prioritization.
- Identify tools, treatments, resources and practices of bus prioritization.
- Describe the impact of implemented prioritization projects on traffic and transit performance.
- Identify lesson learned from implemented prioritization projects.