This webinar was developed by the ITE Traffic Engineering Council.
The COVID-19 virus has had a profound effect on all modes of transportation around the world. Transportation professionals have been gathering data on the short-term effects, but what about the long-term? Will the travel pattern changes experienced on roads, at airports, on public transportation and with freight transport remain permanent and if so, to what extent? Will planning have to change in the future to account for these effects? What are the long-term financial implications?
Participants will learn the facts and implications to the profession and their daily work. The webinar will help prepare them for changing their way of thinking about transportation and travel patterns, to better prepare systems for the future. It will also discuss how revenues might be affected so that service adjustments and project implementation changes can be made.
Each will speak on a different aspect of COVID effects on transportation:
- Short-Term Effects on All Modes - volumes, travel patterns, crashes, ridership, mode shifts, changes to shipping, and other aspects will be included.
- What Does Big Data Show? - what are some of the similarities and differences between countries, states, metro areas and rural areas in terms of volumes, travel patterns and trip frequency.
- Long-Term Effects on All Modes - present research and opinions on any changes that might remain and to what extent. Changes in travel patterns and volumes, mode shifts, decreased ridership, peak-period flattening, effects on shipping and freight, and lower available revenues will all be explored.
- The webinar will conclude with a roundtable discussion by all three participants regarding the long-term financial and other implications to the transportation system, our profession, and to ITE.
Attendees of this webinar will be able to:
- Describe what the short-term effects are of the COVID-19 virus on all modes of transportation.
- Discern the commonalities and differences between states and countries.
- Understand the potential long-term impacts on transportation, especially planning, operations and financial, and how it will impact their daily jobs.
- Chuck Huffine, PE, PTOE, Senior Traffic Engineer | Manatee County, Florida
- Ryan Vanderputten, PE, Director, Transportation Planning | City of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Anthony Castellone, PE, PTOE, Senior TSMO Engineer | Pennoni
- Ted Trepanier, PE, Senior Director - Public Sector Services | INRIX
ITE Members: $49.00
This includes an archived recording with access for 30 days, webinar evaluation, 1.5 PDH/CM credits and a certificate of completion
Group Pricing is available to ITE Members: Learn more here about the eligibility requirements here and how to take part in this opportunity.
Recordings are available for 30 days following the date of registration. Additional attendees at one location are not eligible to earn PDH credit for viewing an archived recording.
Policy: Once this webinar recording is made available on-demand it will have a shelf life of 60 days to view before it is archived. Register Now before it's too late!
Last Day to Purchase Webinar: April 22, 2021.