This webinar was developed by the ITE Consultants Council.
Public agencies require external services and advice from time to time when its own staff are either unavailable or lack the required skills or expertise. Most agencies meet this need by hiring a consultant to undertake the specific project or task.
Selecting the best-suited and most qualified consultant improves the likelihood of delivering a useful, high-quality product on time and within budget. This choice is one the public agency must make not only with a clear and complete understanding and knowledge of the project requirements but also through the application of an effective consultant selection process.
With this objective in mind, the ITE Public Agency and Consultants Council have recently completed an informational report entitled Best Practices in Selecting Transportation Consultants to help public agencies select the best-qualified transportation consultants to assist with its projects. The report is also intended to educate participants on and explain the value proposition of an effective consultant selection process for assignments traditionally described as transportation or traffic engineering and transportation planning being performed for local governments (e.g., towns, cities, counties).
The webinar will provide an overview of the report, explaining the rationale for using consulting services and describing the principles and different methods of selecting a transportation consultant. Transportation professionals from the public and private sectors will also relate their experience with consultant selection and share valuable lessons learned with participants.
- Provide information on the use of consulting services, including explaining the importance of proper consultant selection and factors to consider in procuring consulting services.
- Describe the principles and different methods of selecting a transportation consultant, including highlighting the long-term benefits that can be gained from using a Qualifications-Based Selection (QBS) process.
- To share valuable insight into selecting transportation consultants from the perspectives of public and private sector practitioners.
- Gene Chartier, P.Eng, Vice President and Chief Development Officer | Paradigm Transportation Solutions Limited | Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
- Karyn Robles, AICP, Director of Transportation | Village of Schaumburg | Schaumburg, Illinois, USA
- Don Samdahl, P.E., Principal | Fehr & Peers | Seattle, Washington, USA
ITE Members: Free
This includes an archived recording with access for 30 days, webinar evaluation and a certificate of participation.
How to earn PDH Credit:
PDH Credits are not applicable to this webinar. A certificate of participation will be made available.
Recordings are available for 30 days following the date of the recording posted. Additional attendees at one location are not eligible to earn PDH credit for viewing an archived recording.