1.00 Standard CLE Credit - Attendees will learn to maximize the usefulness of the forensic examiner in civil commitment proceedings.
- Attendees will gain a general understanding of the process used by the forensic examiner in:
- Determining what data is out there on the patient
- Accessing medical information/records
- Determining what information is relevant
- Documenting the factual basis for opinion
- Applying clinical data to the relevant statutes
- Offering an opinion, including on the ultimate issue.
- Attendees will be able to recognize and
identify the limitations inherent in the forensic examiner’s evaluation and
opinion, based upon:
- The amount and quality of available background information on the patient
- The ambiguities and lack of absolute certainties in diagnosis, risk assessment, and treatment options and response
- The required standard of proof in specific cases.