Release Date: 09/30/2021
Expiration Date: 09/30/2024
There is no cost for this toolkit but you will need to sign in to access. If you do not have a customer or member account with NASN, you may create an account from the sign in or login page and then use the account to access this resource.
Vaping is impacting the nation’s youth at alarming rates. According to the 2020 National Youth Tobacco Survey, 19.6% of high school students and 4.7% of middle school students reported using e-cigarettes. To assist school nurses in addressing this issue, NASN has assembled a toolkit of information and resources to support school nurses in implementing evidence-based programs in their schools, including planning for sustainability and building collaborations with key stakeholders to successfully engage their school communities in tackling the topic of vaping head on.
Included in this kit is information on the following:
- Accessing the evidence regarding the risks of e-cigarette use;
- Creating a plan for your school;
- Developing, implementing and enforcing tobacco-free school policies that include e-cigarettes;
- Prevention and cessation support programs; and
- Communicating with parents and students.
Author : Jade Slaffey, MSHCA, BSN, RN, National Association of School Nurses, Nursing Education and Practice Specialist and Lead Nurse Conference Planner
How to Access the Toolkit
The manual (#1) and the slide deck template (#3) are documents. View them online or save to your device.
The questions and answers (#2) and the learning microburst (#4) are interactive presentations that you will view and utilize online.
- An Implementation Manual
Questions and Answers about Vaping for Parents and Administrators
- This Q&A tool can be shared with administrators and your school community. Simply click on the tool and look for a share link.
- Slide Deck Template: Sample presentation regarding vaping
- Learning Microburst: Applying NASN’s Framework for 21st Century School Nursing Practice™ to address the vaping crisis
This toolkit was developed with support from the Aetna Foundation, an independent, charitable and philanthropic affiliate of CVS Health.