This document includes answers to questions frequently asked by healthcare professionals regarding brain death. Some of the questions addressed in this document include:
- What is the appropriate blood pressure for brain death testing in adults and children?
- The terms "Confirmatory" and "Ancillary" testing are used, but confusing. Can you explain the difference?
- How do you explain brain death to a family who has no understanding of medical terminology or of brain?
- How long does one have to wait after therapeutic hypothermia is utilized and the patient is rewarmed before initiating brain death testing?
- How does one handle brain death determination when pentobarbital has been given and the level is unknown?
- If the clinician suspects that the patient is brain dead, but they're still in the Emergency Department, how should they proceed?
- Who is competent to determine brain death?