Small Steps Towards Big Change: Implementing Supportive Care
September 30, 2020
1:00 - 2:00 p.m. ET
The presenters will highlight both the successes and challenges of the Pathways Project implementation strategy including identification of seriously ill patients with advanced CKD and ESKD, conducting goals of care conversations with them, offering palliative dialysis, and collaborating closely with local palliative care and hospice providers. They will comment on what worked and did not work to achieve buy-in from nephrologists, nephrology NPs, and other team members. This session will offer clear concepts for how to facilitate supportive care program development for patients with advanced CKD and ESRD, while also addressing aspects of the Advancing American Kidney Health Initiative.
During this webinar, participants will:
- Review the literature on barriers to meeting the palliative care needs of ESRD patients
- Describe baseline and follow-up findings from patient survey, staff survey, and quality measure indicators.
- Outline actionable items dialysis centers can use to implement similar programs in their centers in order to address aspects of the Advancing American Kidney Health Initiative.
- Glenda Harbert, RN, CNN, CPHQ - Pathways Project Quality Improvement Advisor
- Dale Lupu, MPH, Ph.D. - George Washington University