Our profession has progressed! Unquestionably, the
achievements in orthodontics have made our professional
endeavors a wonderful experience. The pendulum that
regulates the initiation of orthodontic treatment has been
swaying in different directions for many years. However, at
present, this balance seems to be shifting, as the pendulum
appears to be swinging toward an earlier start preferably in
the late mixed dentition.
In an effort to establish grounds to initiate treatment earlier or later, we must try to answer two key questions:
- Should developing problems be intercepted and treated in two phases?
- Which malocclusions should receive consideration for treatment at an early age?
- Present a quantitative assessment in relation to the effectiveness of early interventions.
- Discuss the percentage of reduction of the severity of a malocclusion can be obtained with an interceptive orthodontic treatment.
- Review a special protocol for Class III treatment. i Review principles of interceptive orthodontics and discuss treatment protocols and alternatives.