On May 25, 2018, the European Union (EU) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will become effective in 28 member states of the EU and the three additional countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) that also are members of the European Economic Area (EEA). The GDPR will affect US-based life science and academic research communities through various arrangements, such as US-sponsored clinical trials occurring in the EEA, or studies that involve transferring personal data from the EEA to the US. It’s critical that affected research institutions are equipped with strategies for coming into compliance when the new regulations take effect.
This webinar will provide an introduction to the potential application of the GDPR to the US-based research community; implications for individuals and institutions to which the GDPR applies, including issues regarding data subject consent; and recommended steps.
Specifically, the webinar will cover:
- Effective reach of the GDPR compared with the currently effective EU Data Privacy Directive.
- Types of data protected under the GDPR, including "personal data" and the subset of "special categories of personal data."
- Potential application to the US-based research community through offering goods or services to data subjects in the EEA or monitoring behavior of EEA residents.
- Regulations surrounding processing personal data under the GDPR, including issues with consent as a basis for processing personal data in the context of research.
- Bases for transferring personal data from the EEA to the US.
- Requirements for transferring personal data from the US to the EEA.
- Implications when the GDPR applies to US-based entities, including data subject notices, access, and erasure requirements.
- Recommended steps for US-based entities engaged in research.
What will I learn?
After attending this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Identify personal data that are subject to the GDPR.
- Identify the jurisdictional hooks through which the GDPR may apply to members of the US-based research community.
- Understand key bases for processing personal data and transferring personal data to the US.
- Understand requirements applicable to entities that process personal data.
Who should attend?
This webinar will benefit research sponsors, institutions serving as clinical trial sites, IRBs, and privacy officials.
Webinar participants holding the Certified IRB Professional (CIP®) credential may apply 1.0 continuing education credit towards CIP recertification. Learn More »
Access to purchased content will be available for 90 days after the date of purchase. After 90 days, access to the content will be removed, but users will retain access to any certificates of attendance earned. Content purchased prior to January 1, 2021 will remain available indefinitely. After access has expired, users can purchase an additional 90 days of access.
If you'd prefer a paper form, please click here. Please send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this content is also part of a bundle. Click here to see the full bundle array.