Despite being commonly performed in research, successful anesthesia of mice is not easily accomplished and there is room for improvement in the methods of anesthetizing these important animals. Because of their small size, administering and monitoring anesthesia in mice presents many challenges not seen with other species. Enhancing researchers’ and IACUC members’ understanding of this practice will help contribute to improved animal welfare and better science. (Presented on September 20, 2017)
Presented by a veterinarian whose research focuses on improving the care of mice in biomedical research, including specifically anesthesia of the mouse, this basic-level webinar will teach the fundamentals of mouse anesthesia to researchers and IACUC staff who may not be familiar with anesthesiology. The following topics will be covered:
- Basics of anesthesia, including a discussion of the different depths of anesthesia
- Refining anesthetic protocols to meet anesthetic needs for imaging and surgical procedures
- Unique challenges in anesthetizing mice
- Basic mouse anesthesia protocols
- Monitoring mice under anesthesia
- Control of post-operative pain
- Linking quality anesthesia with quality science
What will I learn?
After attending this webinar, you will be equipped to ask the right questions about mouse anesthesia procedures in research protocols.
This webinar will help you:
- Determine the proper anesthetic depth for a given protocol
- Make basic recommendations about anesthetic protocols to achieve the different planes of anesthesia
- Understand the basics of anesthetic monitoring as an indicator of correct administration of anesthesia
Who should attend?
This basic-level webinar will benefit IACUC staff and members as well as researchers who are unfamiliar with anesthesia or mouse anesthesia.
Webinar participants holding the Certified Professional in IACUC Administration (CPIA®) credential may apply 1.0 continuing education credits towards CPIA recertification. Learn More »
Access to purchased content will be available for 90 days after the date of purchase. After 90 days, access to the content will be removed, but users will retain access to any certificates of attendance earned. Content purchased prior to January 1, 2021 will remain available indefinitely. After access has expired, users can purchase an additional 90 days of access.
If you'd prefer a paper form, please click here. Please send the completed form to email@example.com.