IACUCs and IRBs should comprise skilled and knowledgeable individuals committed to the common goal of ensuring and promoting the ethical conduct of research. While most institutions have a diversity policy or program, the focus is often on demographic characteristics. For IACUCs and IRBs, expanding the definition to include diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, experiences, and social identities can strengthen a committee’s overall ability to carry out its mission.
How can IACUC and IRB staff and members foster and promote diverse representation on their committees, and utilize that diversity to enhance the oversight of research? Moreover, how can diverse committees work together effectively?
Presented by PRIM&R members who have successfully implemented diversity and inclusion strategies, this interactive webinar will offer practical advice and recommendations for increasing diversity to maximize IACUC and IRB effectiveness. (Presented on May 23, 2018)
What will I learn?
After attending this webinar, you will be able to:
- Define diversity, inclusion, unconscious bias, and stereotype threat
- Understand the opportunities for IACUCs and IRBs to enhance research itself through diverse opinions and viewpoints
- Understand the difference between "a seat at the table" and "a voice at the table"
- Describe mechanisms to increase diversity communication competencies of regulatory personnel and committee members
- Implement some strategies for managing conflict while embracing diverse perspectives
Who should attend?
This introductory webinar will be beneficial for research ethics and compliance professionals and members of all types, including IACUC and IRB staff, chairs, and members.
Webinar participants holding the Certified Professional in IACUC Administration (CPIA®) credential may apply 1.5 continuing education credits towards CPIA recertification. Learn More »
PRIM&R's Diversity Statement
PRIM&R values and promotes the diversity of people, ideas, and opinions. Read our diversity statement and learn more on primr.org/diversity.