Stephen B. Thomas, PhD, and Sandra Crouse Quinn, PhD, will present a discussion of challenges, advances, and progress regarding barriers to the involvement of minorities in research. In 2010, Drs. Thomas and Quinn presented a webinar for PRIM&R entitled, Distrust, Race, and Research: Overcoming Barriers to Recruitment and Retention of Minority Populations. In our contemporary context, these topics are more critical than ever. In this webinar, Drs. Thomas and Quinn will bring us up to date on their work and speak to current challenges and opportunities raised by the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter protests. Attendees will also have the opportunity to ask Drs. Thomas and Quinn questions.
- How might we implement what we already know about successful engagement of racial and ethnic minorities in biomedical research?
- How might the anti-racism reckoning in US society contribute to both the challenge and opportunity of COVID-19 mitigation, treatment, and cure within the context of a resurgent Black Lives Matter movement?
- How might the “Warp-Speed” COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials and the FDA approval process of Emergency Use Authorization shape attitudes and willingness of minority populations to accept a vaccine?
After attending this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Describe unique challenges for biomedical and public health research and ethics in the context of COVID-19 research.
- Articulate issues relevant to their local populations and potential new approaches for engagement and recruitment.
The topic of this webinar is relevant to public health, biomedical, and SBER researchers, research staff, IRB members, and anyone working with human research protections programs (HRPPs) and IRBs.
We’d like to thank our supporter for this webinar, Tech Software.
Tech Software is a leading provider of compliance and oversight solutions for the research enterprise. Get in touch to discuss how they can support your IRB and all your institutional approval processes. http://techsoftware.com.
Access to purchased content will be available for 90 days after the date of purchase. After 90 days, access to the content will be removed, but users will retain access to any certificates of attendance earned. Content purchased prior to January 1, 2021 will remain available indefinitely. After access has expired, users can purchase an additional 90 days of access.
If you'd prefer a paper form, please click here. Please send the completed form to email@example.com.