Throughout the course, learners will observe a simulated IACUC’s deliberations that demonstrate how key ethical principles are applied in the IACUC protocol review process.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the function and purpose of IACUCs and animal care and use programs
- Define ethical principles, regulations, and guidelines that inform research with animals
- Apply these principles in the review of research protocols that include animals
- Describe participation in an effective, well-run IACUC meeting
AROC is geared toward new IACUC members and IACUC members seeking a refresher on foundational ethical principles and regulations in animal subjects research. Staff and researchers will also benefit from taking this course.
Progress checks and activities
Glossary of terms
|Self-paced (can take the course in multiple sittings)
|Simulated IACUC discussions
|HTML5 compatible (Adobe Flash Player not required)
|Approximately 4 hours
View a demo of the course here.
AROC is available as an individual or institutional annual license. Subscribers have access to the course for one year from their date of purchase. Institutional subscribers will be contacted regarding their renewal 60 days prior to their renewal date.
An individual license grants individual access only to the person who purchases the course.
- Only one person will be able to take the course and receive credit for completing it. If you plan on having more than one individual take the course, please either purchase multiple subscriptions or an institutional license.
- Member status is not transferable for the purpose of individual licenses.
An institutional license is for two or more individuals who directly work together at the same institution.
- There is no limit to the number of learners who can take the course under an institutional license, however, learners taking the course under one license should be affiliated with the same site or location. Please contact email@example.com to discuss your institution's needs.
- It is the responsibility of the person whose name is used to purchase the license to help their "team" create accounts, add team members, and distribute information to their team. Instructions will be provided. Please allow 1-2 business days for PRIM&R staff to set up your team.
- Only the person purchasing the license needs to be a PRIM&R member in order to receive the member institutional rate.
*Please note, the person whose name the registration is under will receive membership. PRIM&R does not offer group institutional or departmental memberships.
Continuing Education Credit
Course participants who hold the Certified Professional in IACUC Administration (CPIA®) credential may apply 4.0 continuing education credits towards CPIA recertification category two credit. Learn More
Learners who complete AROC can earn up to 4 hours of continuing education (CE) credit for participating. The AROC certificate of completion can be used to obtain CE credits from professional associations. Each association's guidelines for acceptance of credit hours may differ. Please consult the appropriate association representative for information as to if, and how many, credits from AROC may be used for CE.
This version of AROC is for institutional subscribers. Individual subscribers, please click here.
If you prefer, you can find a paper registration form here. Please email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.