October 24, 2018
Both fresh and USDA IQF mushrooms offer schools cost-effective ways to add flavor and reduce sodium in popular on-trend options likes breakfast burritos, meatballs and vegetarian entrees. Savvy school chefs and meal planners know the benefits of serving mushrooms in farm to school programs and in blended meat products that offer more flavor, larger portions and reduced sodium. Learn how large and small districts are utilizing blended commercial products as well as local mushrooms and new IQF options on breakfast menus, lunch trays and salad bars.
A set of panelists will share their experiences, recipes and tips for successfully introducing mushrooms in your school kitchens and cafeterias and will discuss ways to promote mushrooms to those who may be unfamiliar or skeptical about serving them in schools.
Successful completion of the webinar and quiz is awarded 1 SNA CEU, or 1 CPEU for RDNs/NDTRs.
- Describe the availability and uses of USDA IQF mushrooms in school meals.
- List at least three options for blended mushroom-meat items using commercial products, as well as fresh and IQF mushrooms.
- Discuss the benefits and effective ways to incorporate local mushrooms in farm to school and harvest of the month programs.
Malissa Marsden, SNS
Child Nutrition Services
Executive Chef and Production Manager
Dayle Hayes, MS, RD
Head Cheerleader, School Meals That Rock
President, Nutrition for the Future, Inc.
Juan Jose Zamorano
Food Services Program Specialist
San Diego Unified School District
San Diego, Calif.
SNA CEUs: 1.00
Key Area 1000: Nutrition
Key Topic 1100: Menu Planning
Sub-topic 1110: USDA Nutrition Requirements
CPEUs for RDNs and NDTRs
Activity Number: 144390
Suggested Performance Indicators
- 8.1.2 Applies knowledge of food and nutrition as well as the biological, physical and social sciences in practice.
- 8.4.1 Plans and designs nutritionally sound meals, menus and meal plans that meet customer needs and demand and that promote health and disease management.
- 8.4.2 Develops and/or modifies recipes, menus and meals using sensory perceptions and other food components.
- 8110: School Foodservice
CPE Level: 1
SNA CDR Provider Number: AM007
Please note you have the option to submit an evaluation on the quality of this conference directly to the Commission of Dietetic Registration. Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
SNA CEUs and CPEUs are awarded after the successful completion of the post-webinar quiz.
- PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- Mushroom Recipes (PDF)
- Mushroom Menu (PDF)
$0.00 - $20.00