March 15, 2017
Dr. Shahzad Mustafa is a board-certified pediatric allergist and Chair of the Medical Advisory Board for Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Team (FAACT). Dr. Mustafa began the presentation with some important basic information about food allergies, including what school nutrition experts need to know about how to identify a reaction and intervene on behalf an allergic individual. Research has shown that children with food allergies and their families suffer from high levels of anxiety, which contribute to significantly lower quality of life. There are many contributors to this issue and in this webinar Dr. Mustafa shared how school personnel, including school nutrition professionals, can help support strategies to improve quality of life for those with food allergies.
Successful completion of the webinar and quiz is awarded 1 SNA CEU, or 1 CPEU for RDNs/NDTRs.
- Explain the basics about food allergies, including signs and symptoms of a food allergy reaction and take steps to assist an allergic individual.
- Discuss the impact of food allergies on quality of life for those with this condition.
- Recommend and implement strategies to help improve the quality of life for those with food allergies.
S Shahzad Mustafa, MD
Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Rochester Regional Health System
Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry
Key Area 1000: Nutrition
Key Topic 1100: Menu Planning
Subtopic 1160: Food Allergies
CPEUs for RDNs and NDTRs
Activity Number: 132885
Suggested Performance Indicators
- 8.2.2 Applies knowledge of health determinants when planning, developing and implementing services, programs, meal plans and menus.
- 8.3.1 Maintains the knowledge and skill to manage a variety of disease states and clinical conditions.
- 8.4.4 Considers customers choice, beliefs, food sensitivities, allergies, wants and needs.
- 5110: Allergies, sensitivities
- 8110: School Foodservice
CPE Level: 1, 2, 3
SNA CDR Provider Number: AM007
Please note you have the option to submit an evaluation on the quality of this webinar directly to the Commission of Dietetic Registration. Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
SNA CEUs and CPEUs are awarded after the successful completion of the post-webinar quiz.
- PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)