As with any
treatment, it’s not without risk. It is important for parents who are
considering BMT as treatment option for their child to understand the expected
benefits and potential risks.
During this program, recorded on 8/16/16, Dr. Dietz reviews the issues in bone marrow transplant (BMT) that are unique to children. He starts with an overview of the transplant process, including HLA matching, protecting your child’s fertility and preparing your child for transplant. Next he discusses what to expect during the immediate and long-term recovery period after transplant, tips for lowering risk of serious complications, transitioning from the hospital to home, and managing follow-up care, During the program there was time for questions and answers with Dr. Dietz and staff from AAMDSIF and Be The Match.
At the end of this program you will be able to:
- Prepare your child for transplant
- Define fertility preservation options
- Plan for your child’s post-transplant needs at home
- List potential relational, sibling, learning and developmental issues
- Better take care of your own needs as parent/caregiver
To download the transcript for this program:
- Click the presentation link down below
- Select Resources tab
- Download PDF of transcription