This session has live events on Thursdays, September 30 - November 4, 2:00 - 3:00 PM Eastern time (UTC -04:00). Please plan to attend all highly interactive live events.
The Series provides participants with the opportunity to learn about a current topic of interest to undergraduate STEM educators and then engage in a dialogue with colleagues to share ideas and learn from one another. Sessions will include a brief overview of a topic, an interactive portion for participants to get feedback on their ideas, and a summary/de-brief of the topic. For each topic, a “resource” document will be shared. This series builds upon knowledge gained in the highly popular Teaching Undergraduate Biology series and recent Microedu Live! discussions, and the format is a hybrid of these two series. This series is sponsored by the ASM Education Department.
After this 6 week session, attendees will be able to:
- Identify new teaching strategies and approaches for your classroom
- Adapt online and remote teaching practices gained during the COVID-19 pandemic to new Hybrid or In-person modalities
- Design courses and learning experiences that promote equity
- Better respond to your students’ emotional well-being
- Feel better prepared for the upcoming Fall 2021 term and beyond
- Please plan to attend all live events in the session because the events will be highly interactive.
- Events will be recorded and made available to all people who register. However, many events will include breakout rooms, which are NOT recorded.
- Live events will include short presentations, focused discussions and group work, and large group discussions.
- There will be opportunities for discussion and further learning with course participants outside the live events.
- Undergraduate educator in the biological sciences, at any career stage.
- General knowledge of evidence-based practices and active learning. Completion of ASM’s Teaching Undergraduate Biology webinar series would satisfy this requirement.
Loretta Brancaccio-Taras, Professor of Biological Sciences and Director of eLearning at Kingsborough Community College, NY
|Tuesday July 27||Engaging students in the online environment||Roshini Ramachandran|
|Tuesday August 3||Promoting equity in the in-person and online classroom||Monica Linden|
|Tuesday August 10||Creating your own online/remote labs||Jen Herzog|
|Tuesday August 17||HyFlex (and its variations)||Loretta Brancaccio-Taras|
|Tuesday August 24||Adjusting back to in-person learning||Miriam Segura-Totten|
|Tuesday August 31||Pedagogy of care||Mays Imad|
- Registration is only available for the entire 6-week series. We do not allow registration for individual events.
- ASM members (all levels, EXCLUDING Supporting Members): $100
- Non-members of ASM and ASM Supporting members): $200
- No refunds. All those who register will get access to all course content, including live event recordings. Access to all items in this course expires December 31, 2021.
- After registering, you will receive 7 emails from email@example.com. One email is a registration confirmation, and one additional email for each live event (6 in total), which contain Calendar invites and connection information.
- If you are an ASM Global Outreach member and the price in your cart for this series is not $100, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Who to contact?
Questions about series, contact Rachel Horak, ASM Education Department email@example.com
Questions about ASM membership or log-in, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.