The Ethical Research Oversight Course (EROC) is an engaging, interactive online course that equips IRB members and HRPP/IRB staff for their roles through demonstration of the ethical principles and regulatory frameworks that govern their day-to-day work. The course explores fundamental concepts in human subjects protections, including:
Throughout the course, learners will observe a simulated IRB’s deliberations as they review two studies (one biomedical and one behavioral) and demonstrate how key ethical principles are applied in the IRB protocol review process.
EROC has been recognized with a Silver award in the Health and Fitness category of the Fall 2018 Omni Awards! Learn more.
After completing EROC, learners will be able to:
- Define the function and purpose of IRBs and HRPPs
- Describe the ethical principles and regulations that govern human subjects research
- Apply these principles and rules to the review of biomedical, behavioral, and social science research protocols
- Contribute to an effective, well-run IRB meeting
EROC is geared toward new IRB members and IRB members seeking a refresher on foundational ethical principles and regulations in human subjects research. IRB/HRPP staff and researchers will also benefit from taking this course.
|Self-paced (can take the course in multiple sittings)
|Progress checks and activities
|Glossary of terms
|Simulated IRB discussions
|HTML5 compatible (Adobe Flash Player not required)
|Handouts and checklists
|Approximately 5.5 hours
View a demo of the course here.
EROC is available as an individual or institutional annual license. Subscribers have access to the course for one year from their date of purchase. Institutional subscribers will be contacted regarding their renewal 60 days prior to their renewal date.
Individual nonmembers can become a PRIM&R member at no additional cost by adding membership to their shopping cart before purchasing the course in order to receive member pricing.
- Only one person will be able to take the course and receive credit for completing it. If you plan on having more than one individual take the course, please either purchase multiple subscriptions or an institutional license
- Member status is not transferable for the purpose of individual licenses
- There is no limit to the number of learners who can take the course under an institutional license, however, learners taking the course under one license should be affiliated with the same site or location. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your institution's needs.
- It is the responsibility of the person whose name is used to purchase the license to help their users create accounts, add team members, and distribute information to their colleagues. Instructions will be provided.
- Only the person purchasing the license needs to be a PRIM&R member in order to receive the member institutional rate.
Continuing Education Credit
Learners who complete EROC can earn up to 5.5 hours of continuing education (CE) credit for participating. The EROC certificate of completion can be used to obtain CE credits from professional associations. Each association's guidelines for acceptance of credit hours may differ. Please consult the appropriate association representative for information as to if, and how many, credits from EROC may be used for CE.
If you'd prefer a paper form, please
click here. Please send the completed form to email@example.com.
This version of EROC is for individual subscribers. Institutional subscribers, please click here.
Note: If you've purchased the course but still see a price below, be sure you are signed in in the top-right corner of this page.