The Virginia Certified Title Settlement Agent™ course is the only formal instructional program available for title settlement agents in Virginia. VLTA developed the VCTSA course to promote higher standards and skills for title settlement agents to benefit the land title industry and real property consumers. Those who complete this course are awarded the VCTSA designation, a voluntary accreditation currently not required by Virginia law.
This course has been approved for:
- 16 hours of CE (13 Title + 3 Law/Regulations)
- 15.5 hours of CLE (Title)
Students who complete the course and pass the final exam also earn the only universally accepted designation in title settlement in Virginia.
NOTE: The Virginia Certified Title Settlement Agent course is an OPTIONAL course designed to offer advanced training to licensed title insurance agents & attorneys. This course DOES NOT count toward the mandatory 16-hour training course for the title insurance license. To learn more about Virginia licensing requirements, consult the Virginia Bureau of Insurance. The Title Insurance Pre-Licensing Course required to sit for the Title Insurance Licensing Exam is available here.
Course ContentThe VCTSA program is organized is a generally chronological approach. Covered topics include:
- Real Estate Transactions and the Role of the Settlement Agent
- Explaining the Deed and Owner's Affidavit
- How to Become a Settlement Agent (RESA Registration Requirements)
- Explaining FIRPTA
- Three Sets of Instructions for the Settlement Agent to Follow: Sales Contract, Title
- Commitment and Lender's Papers
- Explaining the R-5 and 1099 Reporting
- Pre-Closing Activities: Giving & Gathering Information
- Processing the Information
- Handling the Money
- Closing Protection Letters
- The Method and Authority to Sign for Oneself and On Behalf of Other Individuals and Entities
- Preparing Documents that Summarize the Transaction Financially: CD, ALTA Settlement Statement and HUD-1
- Post-closing Activities
- Managing a Settlement Conference
- Managing & Protecting the Escrow Account
- Explaining Documents that Summarize the Transaction Financially: CD, ALTA Settlement
- Statement and HUD-1
- Restraints on Marketing and Fees
- Explaining the Lender’s Papers
- Everything "e" and the Future Role of the Settlement Agent
InstructorKevin T. Pogoda, Esq.
Born in Santa Monica, California, Kevin Pogoda grew up in Southern California. A graduate from the University of California at Berkeley with degrees in Rhetoric (honors) and Legal Studies (high honors), Kevin completed his law school education at the Santa Clara University School of Law in 1994. After law school, Kevin worked in several firms located in New Jersey, Virginia and the District of Columbia. While in private practice, Kevin’s experience included SEC compliance, Indian gaming law, commercial litigation, labor and employment law, and not-for-profit litigation. Kevin has passed the bar exams for California, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland.
In 1998, Kevin began his career as a settlement agent at a prominent settlement company located in Annandale, Virginia. While in that position, Kevin performed approximately 3,000 settlements and focused on 1031 Exchanges and resolving title issues. Kevin joined Old Republic National Title Insurance Company in May 2006 and now serves as Vice President and Virginia State Manager, Northern Division. In his capacity as Virginia State Manager, Kevin regularly speaks as an instructor before various groups, including attorneys, real estate agents and title/settlement agents. Kevin is also the instructor for VLTA’s Pre-licensing course and a Past President of the VLTA.
Reminder: Only the account holder can receive credit/certification for the courses completed. Employers cannot purchase courses for their employees from their personal account – the employee must create and/or login to their own account to purchase and complete this course. If you have any questions, please contact VLTA Project Manager, Suzanne Campbell at 800-564-8582 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.