Michael Quinn Patton
Developmental evaluation (DE) guides innovative initiatives in complex dynamic environments. Principles-focused evaluation (P-FE) is one special application of DE focused on evaluating adherence to effectiveness principles for achieving results and guiding adaptive action. Blue Marble Evaluation (BME), addressing global challenges of sustainability and equity, is the latest advance in principles-focused developmental evaluation. The essential principles of DE, P-FE, and BME will be examined and applied. Participants will learn to use the GUIDE framework, an acronym specifying the criteria for high-quality principles: (G) guidance for action, (U) utility, (I) inspiration, (D) developmental adaptation, and (E) evaluable. Participants will apply the GUIDE framework to their own projects. Integrating DE, P-FE, and BME moves beyond project/program evaluation to evaluate strategies, collaborations, diverse interventions, and systems change initiatives. Complexity concepts, systems thinking, and AEA Guiding Principles will be incorporated. Participants will learn DE, P-FE, and Blue Marble Evaluation methods, designs, applications, and uses.
Participants will learn:
- The niche and nature of developmental evaluation (DE), principles-focused evaluation (P-FE), and Blue Marble Evaluation (BME) and how they interconnect.
- Five purposes and applications of developmental evaluation at local and international levels.
- The relationship between complexity, systems thinking, and DE, P-FE, and BME.
- The use of the GUIDE framework for principles-focused evaluation.
- The particular challenges, strengths, and weaknesses of developmental evaluation, principles-focused evaluation, and Blue Marble Evaluation.
- The essential principles for designing and conducting developmental evaluations, P-FE, and BME.
I have 45 years of workshop and training experience. I am the author of the books covered by this workshop. When I offered this workshop last year, participants asked for inclusion of Blue Marble Evaluation, which I have done in the new schedule offered here. I teach in The Evaluators' Institute and the International Program for Development Evaluation Training. I have been doing AEA preference workshops every year since 1984.
December 10, 2020 at 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm (EST)
Once you purchase the workshop you must register for the session. Recordings will be made available to registrants unable to attend sessions live. Recordings will be made available to all registrants for 90 days.