The Brain-Based Conditions Specialist Certificate will help Professional Organizers and Productivity Consultants develop a foundational knowledge for working with clients experiencing symptoms or having diagnoses of brain based conditions. NAPO Education's Team of Experts has defined a brain-based condition (BBC) as anything that causes a person to have ongoing difficulty or challenging differences with cognition, emotion, socialization, or behavior..
After completion of this Specialist Certificate, participants will be able to...
- Clarify the ethics and boundaries of competence of the PO/PC (education of clients, referrals) working with clients living with BBC
- Identify physical, mental, emotional, and environmental challenges that may impact daily living
- Understand behaviors and symptoms that client may be living with
- Develop working vocabulary (definitions, terminology) and deepen understanding of the stigma of conditions and symptoms
- Provide "person-first" language and empowering strategies to talk with clients about symptoms and conditions
IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you have completed the courses for a NAPO Specialist Certificate, you hold a certificate but you are not “certified” and may not describe yourself as such.
You must be a NAPO Professional Member to obtain a Specialist Certificate.
You must complete a minimum of eight (8) courses in the following:
Core Courses (All 4 Required)
- OD2-230 Ethics and Policies for Working with Clients with Brain-Based Conditions
- OD2-231 Beyond Awareness: Understanding Complex Conditions in Your Clients
- OD2-232 Effective Strategies For Organizing Children With Brain-Based Conditions
- OD3-318 It's a No-Brainer! Understanding the Brain's Impact on Organizing Abilities
- OD2-233 Communicating with Clients with Emotional, Cognitive or Behavioral Difficulties
- OD2-234 Working Smart Together: Preparing for Conversations with Clients Living with Diagnoses
Skills Courses (Choose a Minimum of 2 Skills Courses)
- CR 2-211 The Chronic-ness of Chronic Disorganization
- CR 2-602 Distracted & Obsessed: Helping ADHD and/or OCD Clients
- CR 2-606 Compulsive Buying: What Every Organizer Needs to Know
- CR 2-610 The Many Faces of Hoarding and Trauma (3-2)
- CR 2-613 What’s ADHD Got to do With It?: Getting and Keeping Your Clients in Action (4-2)
- CR 2-630 Play! The Secret Ingredient to ADHD Motivation
- CR 2-651 Bridging The ADHD Spousal Communication Gap Through Organization
- CR 2-653 What Discourages ADHD Clients and What Empowers Them
- CR 4-408 ADHD in the Family: How to REALLY Help
- CR4-674 Build Success With and Gain CD Clients When You Develop and Use a Collaborative Network
- CR1-690 Wait, The Session is Today?! Time from the ADHD Perspective (1-5)
- CR2-695 Solutions for Hoarding: Four Alternatives to Rapid Clean-Out (2-5)
- CR4-700 Where's My Hamster? Resiliency and Productivity Strategies for You and Your Clients (3-5)
- CR2-705 If You're An Organizer, You Have Chronically Disorganized Clients
- CR1-715 Are you Ready for Organizing with Differently Abled Clients?
Additional Course Information
- Some courses are listed in multiple Specialist Certificate tracks. Two of the courses may be applied to no more than two tracks.
- To qualify, courses must have been taken within a 2-year window, prior to submitting your NAPO Specialist Certificate application.
Applying for Your Certificate
To Obtain Your Certificate
- Complete the required specialist certificate courses
- Complete the NAPO Specialist Certificate application located below.
- You must be a Professional Member in good standing at the time of application.
Your application will be reviewed. If the NAPO Specialist Certificate requirements are met, you will be sent your NAPO Specialist Certificate digital web badge from NAPO Digital Badging.
NAPO Digital Badging
What is a Digital Badge?A digital badge is a validated indicator of accomplishment, skill, quality, or interest that can be earned in many learning environments.* NAPO issues digital badges to Specialist Certificate holders and CPOs to make it easier for you to provide validation of earned certificates and credentials to your clients and colleagues.
In order to make your clients aware of your specialized education and/or CPO status, these digital badges can be shared via digital media platforms, as part of your email signature, or on your website. When someone clicks on the badge image, the link will bring them to your personal validation page on the NAPO Digital Badging website which provides official confirmation of your certificate status.
* Click here for more information on Digital Badging